This education programme supports nurses and midwives in providing safe, evidence-based practice in the area of medication management thus preventing medication errors and near misses. The programme will cover key topics such as: the key principles of medication management, the medication management cycle, management of controlled drugs and medication safety. Participants will have the opportunity to update their knowledge in line with the most up-to-date Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland Guidance for Registered Nurses and Midwives Administration (2020) and Health Information and Quality Authority requirements for medication management.
At the end of this virtual classroom programme participants will be able to:
- Discuss nurses legal and professional responsibilities in all aspects of medication management in line with Guidance for Registered Nurses and Midwives on Medication Administration NMBI (2020)
- Explore processes and procedures for medication management utilising the 10 rights of medication management
- Critically analysis safe care of patients prior to, during, and after the administration of medication
- Determine practices to enable continues best practice in medication management (audit, reporting of near misses, variances within the clinical setting)
- Analysing and identifying errors and variances with dosage, site, route and documentation
Note: On completion of this course a certificate of attendance in a digital form and will be sent by email to each participant. Please note places are limited and must be booked in advance; you need a reliable computer and internet access and please ensure a correct email is provided when registering.